Plot: Son of a pureblood family, Valen has spent the last 12 years running from his life and his mother's prediction that he will meet his end in water, blood and ice. When he is injured and his comrade robs him and then leaves him to die, he doesn't expect that everything is about to change. For an Abott judges him as being worthy - first of sanctuary and then of being initiated into the deeper mysteries of the world.
Book 17: Breath and Bone - Carol Berg
Plot: The land of Navronne is in danger of becoming torn apart by civil war and being plunged into a terrible winter. Crops are failing. No one can contact the mysterious Dane either...
My thoughts: I decided to add my comments for both novels at once. The second novel was definitely the stronger of the two - I picked up on certain plot devices far too quickly in the first - and I really enjoyed the second which, to me, seemed a bit like a Tad Williams novel. Actually, it reminded me of a particular Tad Williams book.
Rating: 3 stars (out of 5)
17 / 50 books. 34% done!
1. A Study in Scarlett, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
2. The Sign of the Four, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
3. Guardians of the Keep, Carol Berg
4. The Soul Weaver, Carol Berg
5. Daughter of Ancients - Carol Berg
6. Adventures of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
7. Memoirs of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
8. The Return of Sherlock Holmes - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
9. The Piper's Son - Melina Marchetta
10. The Hound of the Baskervilles - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
11. The Valley of Fear, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
12. His Last Bow, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
13. The Case Notes of Sherlock Holmes, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
14. Night-time is my time, Mary Higgins Clark
15. The Swan Thieves, Elizabeth Kostova
16. Flesh and Spirit, Carol Berg
17.Breath and Bone, Carol Berg