52. Sacred Hearts by Sarah Dunant This book is set in the 1500’s in Italy when wedding dowries where so large that many noble families could only afford to marry off one daughter and sent the rest of their daughters to live in convents for the rest of their lives separated from the rest of the world. However, in the convent was one place where a woman could use her gifts and talents for the good of the convent and community instead of just being a wife and mother. Serafina is a young novice who is sent to live in the convent since she fell in love with a madrigal singer. The abbess tries her hardest to keep the two apart though Serafina does find an ally in the dispensary mistress Suora Zuana becomes close to her when Serafina is assigned to be her dispensary assistant. She hears of Serafina’s plight and assists the two to reunite when she learns the truth of his affection for her.
53. The Awakening by L.J. Smith
54. Colin Preston Rocked and Rolled by Bert Murray This is the tale of Colin Preston’s sophomore year in college. He has a roller coaster year at a college in upstate New York. This book is set in 1985 and you can tell the difference in the time period from today. This story is about how he survives his sophomore year and breaking up with his girlfriend whom he thinks that he is in love with. Colin is a Beatles fan whose father doesn’t like his choice of major. He also drinks quite a bit in the book in order to cope with life’s troubles. He befriends a teacher who is on exchange from Spain who is dealing with her own heartbreak and teaches him about life without getting into a sexual relationship with her, but is more of a mentoring relationship. This book isn't’ too touchy feely which would appeal to male readers and what sometimes happens in books where the main character is learning how to survive life’s ups and downs.
55. Welcome to Serenity by Sheryl Woods
56. Loving Frank by Nancy Horan This book is a fictionalized account of the love affair between Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Bothwick Cheney. Through Mamah’s eyes we see how the love affair between her and Frank Lloyd Wright evolves. Mamah is a woman who had gotten married at the age of thirty and had two children. She later leaves her husband in order to “find herself”. We do see the double standard in how mothers who abandon their children as opposed to fathers who do. It is normal practice for widowed fathers to leave their children with a female relative without any criticism while a mother is seen as being unfit who does the same. Mamah is criticized in the papers for running away with Frank and leaving her children though she raises her niece when her sister dies in childbirth while her biological father leaves from her life without any criticism at all. This book also tells about the feminist movement both here and abroad since Mamah was a feminist.
57. Concerto by Sandra Miller This book is about musicians in a symphony orchestra. The parts of the book are named after the parts of a concerto. Chrispen is drawn to Newton with the chance to work with the greatest violinist alive. Alexis is under suspicion after the death of his wife and his release from prison on a technicality. When Chrispen starts to receive spooky messages and threats when she starts to see more of Alexis. She also helps Alexis in rebuilding his relationship with his father while investigating who is sending her the mysterious messages and who had killed Alexis’s wife. She is surprised to find out about her friend Dwight’s past with Alexis and his late wife Madeline. This is a good book with a lot of suspense in it that will keep you wondering if Chrispen will be alive at the end of the book and the culprit who is stalking her will be caught.
58. Fear and Laundry by Elizabeth Myles Lia and Veronica are two best friends who are trying to keep their favorite hangout from closing down by organizing a benefit concert. Veronica is a senior in high school who is not sure about what she wants to do with the rest of her life while trying to play in her best friend’s band and dealing with high school. The book is set in the summer/fall of 1994 before the Internet and cell phones became widespread. Lia’s brother Jake is also home from college as well where he was the child prodigy. Veronica feels better when Jake does not know what to do with his life as well. The book takes an interesting book at high school in the early nineties where there are some things that do not change such as rivalries.