11. One Night With Her Boss by Alison Roberts
12. Lowcountry Ghosts: Stories of Alice Flagg, Confederate Blockade Runners and Haunted Beads by Lynn Michelsohn These are a short collection of three ghost stories set in Murrells Inlet, SC. Normally when you hear about the Lowcountry of South Carolina you think of Charleston, SC not necessarily Murrells Inlet which is close to Myrtle Beach. These stories come from a longer book of ghost stories that the writer had written. These stories give you a different perspective of the area before Myrtle Beach became a tourist trap. If I am in the area I would like to visit the Brookgreen Plantation. There is a historical interlude where Confederate blockade running is explained. One downside of this book is that it seems to be an advertisement for her other books. She has included excerpts from her other books that are not set in the Lowcountry of South Carolina.
13. Violet Victorious by Kathleen Mulroy Violet Murphy has an opportunity to escape her poverty ridden life with her alcoholic father when a relative comes and offers to take in the younger brothers and sisters that she had been taking care of since her mother’s death. She takes a train to Wallace, Idaho where she makes friends and makes a living for herself. Lutheran minister Douglas Cook comes to Wallace to take over the local Lutheran church and becomes acquainted with Violet. Douglas’s former fiancee comes to town in order to take Douglas back and she turns out to be a spoiled, rich socialite. Violet shows her what life would be like as Douglas’s wife in order to discourage her from wanting to marry Douglas. This is a sweet book where a woman who is considered to be an old maid in her community enters into a romance with the local pastor. Violet is an example of a woman who waits on the Lord even on matters of marriage, especially when she sees her friends around her getting married and starting families of their own.
14. A Voice in the Wind by Francine Rivers In this book about a young slave girl who struggles to keep her Christian faith in the decadence of Roman society. You can see some parallels with Roman society with today’s American society though they are not entirely the same. Hadassah is fighting her feelings for Marcus, a young Roman aristocrat who doesn’t share her Christian beliefs. Her mistress Julia is a sympathetic character even though she lives a decadent lifestyle and has to live with the consequences of her lifestyle. If it weren’t for her money and Roman law she might have died in this book, before she had a chance to accept Christ.
15. Perfect by Sara Shepard
16. Three Girls and a Baby by Rachel Schurig In this book Ginny thought that she was going to marry her college boyfriend Josh and that they would live happily ever after, however Josh breaks up with her after college graduation. Instead of planning her wedding Ginny moves into a small house with two of her friends back in her hometown taking a nanny position. After a night with her ex boyfriend Ginny becomes pregnant and the book then takes a turn in showing her feelings about the unplanned pregnancy. Her friends turn out to be supportive during her pregnancy and she gets a new job in a bookstore along with a handsome new boss. Her new boss takes a liking to her and she starts to have feelings for him. He is supportive of her pregnancy something that her ex-boyfriend is not. There is a shocking twist at the end of the book when Ginny’s ex-boyfriend returns to town and looks her up. The ending is a big suprise and it is different than most chick lit books. This is a good book where the main character grows up and learns more about relying on herself and good friends rather than just leaning on a guy. She learns how to deal with her issues on her own terms.
17. The Radleys by Matt Haig The Radleys appear to be a typical British suburban family except for the fact that they are vampires. They are considered to be abstainers that do not feed on blood either human or vampire. The vampire story line is a minor line, where it is mainly about their family life and secrets being revealed.