Description from bookdepository.co.uk:
Stephanie Plum's got rent to pay, people shooting at her, and psychos wanting her dead every day of the week (much to the dismay of her mother, her family, the men in her life, the guy who slices meat at the deli . . . oh, the list goes on). An ordinary person would cave under the pressure. But hey, she's from Jersey. Stephanie Plum may not be the best bounty hunter in beautiful downtown Trenton, but she's pretty darn good at turning bad situations her way . . . and she always gets her man. In To the Nines, her cousin Vinnie (who's also her boss) has posted bail on Samuel Singh, an illegal immigrant. When the elusive Mr. Singh goes missing, Stephanie is on the case. But what she uncovers is far more sinister than anyone imagines and leads to a group of killers who give new meaning to the word hunter. In a race against time that takes her from the Jersey Turnpike to the Vegas Strip, Stephanie Plum is on the chase of her life. The unforgettable characters, nonstop action, high-stakes suspense, and sheer entertainment of To the Nines define Janet Evanovich as unique among today's writers.
Another Stephanie Plum novel. Same standard mystery with Stephanie caught in the lurch in the end. Improved by Valerie having her baby and Lula’s meat diet. Same standard Morelli/Ranger fare. These books are very formulaic, and as fun and comfortable as that can be to read, they’d be significantly improved by something resembling character development. Pick a man, ditch Lula (I know a lot of people find her funny - I find her annoying, she undoubtedly always gets Stephanie into trouble), kill off Grandma, I don’t know. Just do something!
16 / 50 books. 32% done!
7362 / 15000 pages. 49% done!
- The Husband’s Secret by Liane Moriarty – 402 pages
- Hidden Figures: The Untold Story of the African American Women who helped win the Space Race by Margot Lee Shetterly – 328 pages
- Elon Musk: Tesla, SpaceX, and the Quest for a Fantastic Future by Ashlee Vance – 434 pages
And coming up:
- The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant: Volume 3: White Gold Wielder by Stephen Donaldson – 500 pages
- The Odyssey by Homer – 324 pages
- Without Remorse by Tom Clancy – 750 pages